Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Quickly...

...because I'm tired of seeing an annoying work rant at the top of my blog (and you probably are, too).

I have about 10 pages left of "Knitting Rules" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee and I can say that I have enjoyed every minute of reading it. There have even been a few bus rides where I chose to read instead of knitting. It takes some powerful-good reading to get me to make that decision. :-)

I plan to use her guidelines to ask a number of friends and family members to give me a list of various body part dimensions...allowing me to make projects for them in the future that will fit and also be a surprise. I'm not planning on another make something knitted for everyone for christmas year, but that doesn't mean that there won't be some people who get knitted gifts.

Except for end weaving, I just finished a Dulaan Hat and cast on another one on the bus this morning. It is giving me a chance to practice my new fair isle skills and play with color combinations and motifs. The hat I finished showed me how critical color contrast is to make an impressive looking fair isle item. It looks good, but the red/white and red/tan sections are more impressive looking than the red/brown section.

I may start the fair isle bag over again with a darker brown and bigger needles. I haven't committed to frogging it yet, but I think that more contrast would make it look nicer and I'm concerned that the gauge is too tight for it to felt well.

More later. My lunchtime is over.

No comments: