Wednesday, February 07, 2007

A quiet birthday

Yesterday was a pretty relaxing day, and I keep telling myself it's the last really quiet day I'm going to have all to myself for a long time. That might sound a little cynical, and I don't really mean it that way. I just realize that there is no way to truly prepare ourselves for the way out lives are going to change when Miss M arrives, especially for me since I plan to breastfeed. I'm sure that I'm going to love being a mother and that the benefits will far outweigh the challenges. But that doesn't mean that I'm not going to miss the current "quietness" of our life from time to time. Even the women I know who love motherhood have days that they miss the pre-mommy days, so I just want to make sure I appreciate the few that I have left.

I slept in (after saying goodbye to R), I read my usual complement of websites, read email, responded to email, opened the door for the men who delivered the glider, made jello, worked on the log cabin blanket, watched "Hitch", watched some "Sound of Music" extras from my new birthday DVD, watched a few "Gilmore Girls" episodes, I talked to my mom and fed myself when appropriate. (I considered going to the coffee shop when the temperature was up to 20, but decided I didn't really feel like leaving the house. That's an urge I will have to fight when I'm on maternity leave...lets hope for a mild spring.) Once R got home, we watched the pilot episode of the original "Battlestar Galactica" series (he recently spent an amazon GC from christmas), I answered several birthday phone calls and we had breaded fish & mac'n cheese for dinner. (We're going out for the official birthday dinner on Friday night.)

If you pay attention to the description, I really didn't leave the couch too many times all day. Surprisingly, I didn't ever have a lap cat, despite a few investigations of what I was doing. Maybe I should have turned down the thermostat. ;-) I also didn't do any painting. I pondered it, but didn't feel like it. I was more in a knitting/watching TV mood. It will get done when it gets done.

Knitting - I finished the bands to go between the log cabin blocks and did a crochet seam between the pieces that are complete. On the bus this morning I started another block with the yellow yarn. Via comments and email, Option #2 was the unanimous winner - thanks for all of those who provided input.

1 comment:

cara said...

you SHOULD relish those last few quiet days to yourself! i did, and i'm glad for it! you will still have quiet time but it will be slightly different... you'll be more in tune with how loud your dishes are when you set them down in hopes to not wake a sleeping baby... thus you'll stress about weird stuff like that instead of having a quiet day to yourself where if you make loud noise only you will notice and the occasionaly cat might startle... other than that... totally different! enjoy the last few!

btw, love the washcloths below, very cute! sorry so long!